At this year’s American Public Health Association’s (APHA) Annual Meeting and Expo earlier this week, it was inspiring to see the over 13,000 attendees – all public health warriors – in person.
Thank you to our deans program directors, and students who attended, presented, and exchanged knowledge with our peers. From sessions covering the public health workforce shortage, how to combat misinformation, Framing the Future 2030, our revamped Undergraduate Network, to assembly and business meetings, poster sessions, and sponsoring APHA’s Academic and Practice Linkages in Public Health (APLPH) Caucus, ASPPH proudly represented the vital work of academic public health that we have all dedicated our careers to. Please enjoy our photos from APHA.
Congratulations to the following members who were APHA award winners this year:
- Pedro Hallal, PhD, MPH, Alvin and Ruth Sandall Professor of Kinesiology and Director of the Master of Health program, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign College of Applied Health Sciences, who received the David P. Rall Award for Advocacy in Public Health
- Jeannette Ickovics, PhD, the Samuel and Liselotte Herman Professor of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Yale School of Public Health, who received the Martha May Eliot Award
- Samer Jabbour, MD, MPH, Professor of Public Heath Practice, faculty of Health Sciences, the American University of Beirut (outgoing) and researcher, Syrian Center for Policy Research, who was awarded the Victor Sidel and Barry Levy Award for Peace.
- Nancy Krieger, PhD, Professor of Social Epidemiology and American Cancer Society Clinical Research Professor, the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, who received the Sedgwick Memorial Medal for Distinguished Service in Public Health.
- Sharon Laing, PhD, Associate Professor, School of Nursing and Healthcare Leadership, University of Washington Tacoma and Adjunct Associate Professor, University of Washington School of Public Health, who received the Lyndon Haviland Public Health Mentoring Award.
- Yan Wang, Assistant Professor of Epidemiology at the University of Florida College of Public Health and Health Professions, who received the Ayman El-Mohandes Young Professional Public Health Innovation Award.